Tesco Plc (“Tesco”, “we” or “us”), part of the Tesco Group, is committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998, the data controller is Tesco Plc of New Tesco House, Delamare Road, Cheshunt, Herts EN8 9SL.
Accessing your personal information
To obtain a copy of the information we hold about you, write to: Data Protection Officer, Corporate & Legal Affairs, New Tesco House, Delamare Road, Cheshunt, Hertfordshire EN8 9SL enclosing a cheque or postal order for £10 payable to "Tesco Stores Limited". Please confirm your Clubcard number, if you have one, and any details to help us identify and locate your information. If any of the details are incorrect, let us know and we will amend them.
Changes to our policy
This Privacy and Cookies Policy replaces all previous versions and is correct as of October 2014.
We reserve the right to change the policy at any time, and any changes we may make in the future will be posted on this page and, where appropriate, notified to you by e-mail. Please check back frequently to see any updates or changes to our Privacy and Cookies Policy.
If you have any queries, please contact us at email@example.com.
Last update: 9 October 2014
Information we collect about you
We may collect and process information about you, including without limitation:
- Information that you give us. You may give us information about you by filling in forms on our Website or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number, personal description and photograph.
- Information that we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our Website we may automatically collect technical information and information about your visit; and
- Information we receive from other sources. We may receive information about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide. We are also working closely with third parties and may receive information about you from them.
We may supplement the information we collect about you with information we receive from other public sources (eg public registers such as the electoral roll). This allows us to assess the accuracy of the information we hold about you in order to send you relevant offers and information.
Using your information
Collecting your personal information helps us to better understand what you need from us and to improve our services to you. Without limitation, we may use your information to:
- manage and improve our Website, including to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- administer our Website and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- personalise our services to you;
- tell you about important changes to the Website and our services;
- manage promotions, competitions, customer surveys and questionnaires, and to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and
- enhance our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes.
Storing and disclosing your information
The data that we collect from you may be transferred to, and stored at, a destination outside the European Economic Area. By submitting your personal data, you agree to this transfer, storing or processing. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy and Cookies Policy.
We will never disclose your information to anyone outside the Tesco Group of companies, except:
- where we have your consent;
- if we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation or in order to enforce or apply our Terms & Conditions
- to analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our Website;
- to other companies who provide a service to us (eg our advertising partners and networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others); or with any successors in title to our business
The Website may contain links to other sites which are outside our control and not covered by this Privacy and Cookies Policy. The operators of these sites may collect information from you that will be used by them in accordance with their policy, which may differ from ours.
In order to comply with new rules, we use a system of classifying the different types of cookies which we use on the Website, or which may be dropped by third parties through our Website. The classification was developed by the International Chamber of Commerce UK and explains more about which cookies we use, why we use them, and the functionality you will lose if you decide you don't want to have them on your device.
What is a cookie?
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your browser or the hard drive of your computer if you agree. Cookies contain information that is transferred to your computer's hard drive.
Cookies used on our Website
We use the following cookies on our Website:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These cookies enable services you have specifically asked for. For those types of cookies that are strictly necessary, no consent is required. These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the Website and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the Website. Without these cookies services you have asked for, like shopping baskets or e-billing, cannot be provided.
- Performance cookies. These cookies collect anonymous information on the pages visited. By using the Website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device. These cookies collect information about how visitors use the Website, for instance which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. These cookies don't collect information that identifies a visitor. All information these cookies collect is aggregated and therefore anonymous. It is only used to improve how the Website works.
- Functionality cookies. These cookies remember choices you make to improve your experience. By using the Website, you agree that we can place these types of cookies on your device. These cookies allow the Website to remember choices you make (such as your user name, language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, fonts and other parts of web pages that you can customise. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. The information these cookies collect may be anonymised and they cannot track your browsing activity on other websites.
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
Using browser settings to manage cookies
You may block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our Website.